Amharic Language Tools
Amharic English Dictionary from Selamsoft
Download: Three versions at Amharic English Dictionary
Free trial version is available for download
Amharic Language Reference Dictionary of Ethiocloud Abyssinica
Abyssinica Dictionary, developed by By Kekros Systems, LLC, is the largest Amharic Dictionary in the world which works on almost all platforms; Desktops, Mobile devices, tablets, cloud, Office 2013, Office 365, etc.
Abyssinica Dictionary Office App helps you to translate a word into English or Amharic within Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel documents. Select a word in a document or type the word in the search field. Abyssinica displays definitions of the word and Wikipedia entries in Amharic and English.
It has Amharic dictionary, Idioms, Amharic typing, qinies, proverbs, and translation.
It is free to download on Microsoft Office Store. Abyssinica Dictionary works on Microsoft Office 2013 and later versions on Desktops, Mobiles, Tablets, Android devices, or Online.
You can directly add it into your Office Word, PowerPoint or Excel. Just follow the below steps.
You can finds apps for Amharic to English & English to Amharic dictionary, Amharic to Hebrew & Hebrew to Amharic dictionary, as well as Amharic to Arabic & Arabic to Amharic dictionary. In addition, Amharic keyboard for ios8 is available.
- Optical Character Recognition Software
- Voice software that converts Amharic text in to voice
- Brana Editor helps you type Amharic text
- Kirar Apps helps you learn how to play Kirar
- Brana for office spell check for Amharic, Tigrinya and Geez Spellchecker for Word and Powerpoint
- AxumLight Amharic based developing language.
- Nisre kal Amharic Bible
Amharic English Medical Dictionary (with Audio)
Dictionary of the Amharic Language by Charles William Isenberg (1841)
- English to Amharic dictionary, Scanned book
Short Amharic Glossary at http://www.angelfire.com/ak/sellassie
Amaregna Lemengedegnawoch (English) Foreign Languages - Amharic - English Dictionary
Amharic Basic Vocabulary (with audio)
Outlines of Amharic, containing an English, Oordoo and Amharic Vocabulary, by Carolus Henricus Blumhardt (1867) (in Roman characters), Scanned Book.
Lexicon linguae aethiopicae, Ethiopian-Latin dictionary, with an index of Latin words, by August Dillmann (1865). Scanned Book.
Amharic Language Audios, Books, Keyboard
- Amharic keyboard(Geez alphabet) & font to download
- Amharic alphabet& basic vocabulary (Video Play list)
- Amharic course[PDF] (Foreign Service Institute)
- Initia Amharica,Introduction to spoken Amharic, by Carl Hubert Armbruster (1908)
- Traité de langue amharique: the Amharic language, by Marcel Cohen (1884)
- Praktische Grammatik der amharischen (abessinischen) Sprache: practical Amharic grammar, by Ludwig Mahler (1906)
- Grammaire éthiopienne: Ethiopian grammar & Ethiopian-French vocabulary, by Marius Chaîne (1907)
- Ethiopic grammarby August Dillmann & Carl Bezold (1907)
- Grammatik der äthiopischen Spracheby August Dillmann (1899)
- The Royal Chronicle of Abbysinia, 1769-1840, with an English translation, by Herbert Weld Blundell (1922)
- A poesia etiopica: Ethiopic poetry, with translation in Portuguese, by Francisco Maria Esteves Pereira (1915)
- Historia dos Martyres de Nagran: History of the Martyrs of Najrān, with translation in Portuguese, by Francisco Maria Esteves Pereira (1899)
- Historia de Minás, with translation in Portuguese, by Francisco Maria Esteves Pereira (1888)
- Dottrina cristianaby Roberto Bellarmino (1786) with texts in Arabic, Italian
- Historia Æthiopicaby Hiob Ludolf (1681): description of Ethiopia, in Latin language with Amharic terms.
- Chrestomathia æthiopicaby August Dillmann (1866) texts & Ethiopic-Latin dictionary.
- Novum TestamentumDomini Nostri et Servatoris Jesu Christi æthiopice, by Thomas Pell Platt (1830)
- Biblia Veteris Testamenti æthiopicaby August Dillmann (1853)
- The Ethiopic version of the book of Enochby Robert Henry Charles (1906)
- Liber Henoch æthiopice by August Dillmann (1851)
- The Contendings of the Apostles, the Ethiopic texts with an English translation, by Wallis Budge (1899)
Amharic Religious Books
Dictionnaire de la langue tigraï: Tigrai-French dictionary by J. Coulbeaux & Jules Schreiber (1915).
Vocabolario italiano-tigrai: Italian-Tigrai vocabulary, by Alfonso Cimino (1904).
Vocabulary of the Tigré language by Moritz von Beurmann & grammar by Adalbert Merx (1868).
Other Tigrigna Resources:
Tigrinya keyboard (Geez alphabet) & font to download.
Grammar of Tigré language (Latin alphabet).
Manuel de la langue tigraï: grammar, texts & vocabulary, by Jules Schreiber (1887).
The legend of the Queen of Sheba in the tradition of Axum: text in Tigré & translation in English, by Enno Littman (1904).
Tigrigna Religious Book
- አማርኛ ላቲን መዝገበ ቃላት 1690-- በ1690 ዓ.ም የታተመ የአማርኛ እና ላቲን ቋንቋ መዝገበ ቃላት። Amharico Latine dictionary, typis in MDCXCVIII.
- አማርኛ እንግሊዝኛ መዝገበ ቃላት 1833-- 1833 ዓ.ም የታተመ -- (እንግሊዝኛ) Amharic English Dictionary published in 1833
- እንግሊዝኛ ኡርዱ አማርኛ መዝገበ ቃላት 1859-- 1859 ዓ.ም. የታተመ -- (እንግሊዝኛ) English Urdu Amharic Dictionary published in 1859
- አማርኛ ፈረንሳይኛ መዝገበ ቃላት 1902-- 1893 ዓ.ም የታተመ -- (ፈረንሳይኛ) Dictionnaire amharique française publiée en 1902
- ግዕዝ-አማርኛ እና አማርኛ-አማርኛ መዝገበ ቃላትበአለቃ ኪዳነወልድ ክፍሌ 1948
እንግሊዝኛ አማርኛ መዝገበ ቃላት 1972 -- 1972 ዓ.ም. የታተመ -- (እንግሊዝኛ) English Amharic Dictionary published in 1972
- የማርክሲዝም ሌኒኒዝም መዝገበ ቃላት-- 1978 ዓ.ም የታተመ -- (እንግሊዝኛ) Amharic Amharic Dictionary published in 1986
- አማርኛ እንግሊዝኛ መዝገበ ቃላት-- 1982 ዓ.ም. ታተመ -- (እንግሊዝኛ) Amharic Amharic Dictionary published in 1990 (ጉግል መጽሐፍት)
- ስእላዊ መዝገበ ቃላት-- 1983 ዓ.ም. ታተመ -- (እንግሊዝኛ) Pictorial Amharic English Dictionary published in 1991
- አማርኛ ኦሮምኛ መዝገበ ቃላት-- ከ1850 በፊት የተጻፈ
- የሳይንስና ቴክኖሎጂ መዝገበ ቃላት-- 1989 ዓ.ም. ታተመ
Amharic Language Books to buy
Amharic English, English Amharic Dictionary: A Modern Dictionary of the Amharic Language Paperback –Endale Zenawi (2007)
Amharic Cultural Reader by Wolf Leslau, Thomas Leiper Kane
Otto Harrassowitz Verlag (2001)
Amharic Language Apps
Afaan Oromoo Dictionaries
The Oromo language, afaan Oromoo or Oromiffa, belongs to the eastern Kushitic group of languages and is the most extensive of the forty or so Kushitic languages. The Oromo language is very closely related to Konso, with more than fifty percent of the words in common, closely related to Somali and distantly related to Afar and Saho.
Afaan Oromo Android Apps
There are 13 public holidays in Ethiopia where ten are official in which government offices, most businesses and schools close. Bellow is the
List of public holidays in Ethiopia each year, and the official once highlighted in bold.
Ethiopian Christmas (Genna) – January 7
Ethiopian Epiphany (Timkat) – January 19
Victory of Adwa Commemoration Day – March 2
International Labour Day – May 1
Eid al-Fitr (End of Ramadan) – March 13
Patriots Victory Day – April 6
Eid al-Adha (Arafa) – April 17
Ethiopian Good Friday (Siklet) – April 25
Ethiopian Easter (Fasika) – April 27
Downfall of the Dergue – May 28
Birth of Prophet Mohammed (Moulid) – July 17
Ethiopian New Year (Enkutatash) – Sepember 11
Finding of the True Cross (Meskel) – September 27
Ethiopia is on East Africa Time (EAT) which is UTC+03. It is common to use the 12-hour clock as the start of the day is dawn not midnight like most countries.